Monday, November 30, 2009

My Kind of Humanism

we've been discussing secular humanism for a recertification process. i'm not a major proponent of it. it's filled with so much dissatisfying irony for me...the kind that actually robs humanity of value and the fullness of life. how in the world we could be satisfied with the "elevation" of man to the level of animal is beyond me....??....accepting that there is absolutely no "absolute" truth...oh, except the absolute truth of evolution. and then to accept that our personalities, our relational bonds, etc...are simply the happenstance of chemical reactions...it just doesn't make sense. it robs life of its magic..of beauty...of true love.

not a believer.

however...i'm also not a fan of a religious humanism either that pops up in christendom. that being "human" is somehow evil and/or weak. that our goal should be to become less human and more holy by living a life that is shackled to an acceptance of the fact that we are "sinners" saved from the hell that our humanness only leads us to.

not a believer.

jesus was fully human. the most powerful example and mentor of who we could be because of a great dance with the divine. eden's humanity, i guess. how in the world could that ever be a terrible thing?

it's not.

the plight of mankind is not our affliction with "humanness"...it's our decision to live a life that is less than human. and...true to the value of being human, the heart of god is most truly about restoration to eden's plan. men and women walking with god in the garden of delight...becoming the humans they were designed to be.

so...my kind of humanism is not one that embraces the notion of my inner animal...nor is it one that equates my flesh with my humanity. my humanism is an "edenism". ya, that's my kind of humanism.

it's on my mind as i look forward to the christmas season. when the hero was able to sneak into the enemy camp to make my heart's restoration (my humanity's restoration) to the lover of my soul a complete possibility. woo!...god's so hot...it's amazing! :)

No comments: