Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Single Girl Woes...

this is just me spilling my woes for a moment. actually, they aren't my woes as much as frustrations.

you would not believe the number of times i encounter people who seemingly view my single status as...a flaw...or unfortunate circumstance. no, they don't say it outright. but their unease with what to talk to me about (because i don't have children to prattle on about) and subsequent focus on how to find me a man...it's really weird. and i, of course, would gladly talk about someone else's kids and all that...it's not me that it makes uncomfortable.

i guess it makes me wonder...shouldn't it be a concern when conversation for a person can only revolve around parenting? where's the "you" of YOU as opposed to the "do" of YOU?

and believe me...i'm not out desperately searching to "find a man". my man...and i know he's out there somewhere...will find me. when god says the time is right. in fact, the "worst" life for me is no longer "being single". nooooo, the worst would be living as if there is no life without a man. wow...god really helped me with that one. me being romanced by the romancer for the rest of my life...is certainly not the worst thing. so, i'm just living with an open heart in the meantime. and what will be...will be. thing is...puts me in a place of wanting to really share my life with a man someday...rather than get my life from him. interesting.

the other frustrating thing...and i get the boundaries of it sometimes, i guess...is how some people cannot be friends with me (the single gal) because it might not look right to others. it just is...well, what am i supposed to think of that? granted, i get the balance...believe me, i've dealt with a little bit of loonie on that one...but why does the extreme wacko situation have to necessitate absolute boundaries for some?...especially when it actually could be healthy? there are single gals out there that respect what marriage means...and who are not out to steal someone's man or woman. it just seems a little legalistic is all. very odd.

so...welcome to a moment in the life of a singleton.

these woes, by the way, do not rob me of my joy. heck no! they just make it a little irritating from time to time...:) and also make me so greatful for my married friends who are real people who can share their real lives (and even their lives with their kids) with a girl who is single but not lacking...;)

2 comments:

Jody said...

Sarah,
You are the Women! I love you loads and you could not have said it better!! I have seen so much growth in you! You are wonderful, and I cannot wait till the day when someone special sees you and realizes what a "gem" they have. They will be on their knees thanking the good Lord that they got to you first! Cheers to a great friend!!

MotorMouth said...

sarah...i echo jody's sentiments...
you are amazing and wonderful and i adore you and i'm so thankful for your friendship...
thanks for your candor and openness to share!!