Friday, July 9, 2010

A Manual on Myself

Do you ever wish you could hand out a manual on yourself...or Cliffs Notes? :) I do ALLLLLLL the time. The #1 reason???...a lot of people assume we are our professions, and usually their definition is based on their experience with that field. Goodness, I guess I can do that sometimes too! Sometimes I find that people think they know who I am...or worry about who they should be around me...because I'm a principal or because I sometimes speak at church or whatever. I guess I feel sad about it because it makes it hard for people to be real or comfortable. But, I've been finding, more and more every day, that the true measure of a person is less about credentials, degrees and dollars and more about the substance of heart and soul...and that's usually a pretty messy place...a beautiful one, but definitely a messy one. Oh how I wish we could walk in that when it comes to our definitions of each other!!

So what would your manual say about yourself?

Here's my "start"... ;)

1. Is generally a private person but with a dose of trust can be very open. I grew up in a fish bowl and now work in another one...haha...so "real" tends to be reserved for closer relationships.
2. Is not as confident as the word "principal" sometimes sounds. I have my areas of strength and can pull from that, but often, underneath that, I worry about what people might think or how I affect others.
3. Loves to show interest in other people's dreams, passions and pursuits, but secretly longs for people to do the same for me.
4. Is pretty loyal...umm, sometimes too much. The surest way to get crossed off my "love/like" list is to disrespect someone I love. That would be "crossed off" with a sharpie...as opposed to a pencil. ;)
5. Has an introverted side.
6. Is pretty sensitive. Hurts are felt deeply in this chica but often are concealed.
7. Has a "physical touch and affection" love language.
8. Is wired with "wonder". I so enjoy the little things like they are pure gold.
9. Is NOT desperate. The Mr. Right thing will work itself out...no need to freak out or be manipulative.
10. Loves great stories. I can actually become so emotionally invested in the characters that they become real!! Haha! Should I admit that I'm worried about Harry Potter right now? Oh dear...
11. Invests whole-heartedly when I believe in something. I'm a "go big or go home" kinda girl.
12. Is a bit strategic. If a situation arises, my brain is usually assessing possible outcomes and ways to get to those.
13. Really wants to be a lady. Don't get me wrong...I definitely have a spicey side...gotta have that! But, I really want to live from a place of genuine dignity, and I think God is the source of that.
14. Is more of a small-group or individual-to-individual person. I definitely get shy or reserved when a lot of people are around.
15. Can be a little intense. Small talk or surfacy talk is good in certain settings...or for a while between friends...but I enjoy discussing the deeper things. Do we really care about the weather?? ;)
16. Is just a girl.

Oh dear...maybe too much info!! Hahaha!!...you know what??...I should have one of my friends do one on all of my weaknesses!!! "The Dirt Manual"...Umm...maybe not! ;)

1 comment:

stephierae72 said...

I would be happy to help you out with your weakness manual, since we are on the honesty kick! ;) But then again, we are on an accountability trend here to so then you would have to write one on me,soooo.....lets stick to ice cream....JEREMY!!!!! Fire up the machine! Sarah and I need sugar and fat.