Saturday, February 20, 2010

My Heroic Dad

i've been watching my dad do something heroic lately. well...and to be honest he's done this more times than i can remember, but in the face of my lack of ability to be like him in this matter, his character shines so brightly today.

people are renting the church today...and the lake...for a "polar plunge". several ministries join up this time of year to hold a fundraiser that involves the opportunity to jump in the lake through a hole in the ice. minnesotans get a little crazy in the winter and think that things like this are a "good idea". i think the cold impacts the brain slightly.

anyway, there's a ministry leader there that totally pisses me off. there...i said it. in my mind he's lost all respect because of a dishonor for others and "use" of others that he permits due to pride. the icing on the cake is that one of the many people he has spit on is...my dad. that pretty much crossed him right off my "like" list with one swipe of the proverbial pen. the funny thing is that i've known a ton of people who have disagreed with my dad over the years...me being one on occasion (haha!)...but it's only once in a while that i see someone be incapable of respect in the midst of the struggle. adding dishonor is...well...WRONG! (i'm an honor buff..) this guy???...well, he's one of them.

well, today, my dad showed up to church to make sure that all these ministries had everything they needed to make their event go off without a hitch. he loves sharing the property with others. he was all over the place making people feel welcomed, and this leader dude was right there all along being served by my dad.

the kicker???...my dad fully knows all the crap that this guy has shovelled in his direction. he's even taken some major assaults as a result of this guy's crap. but today??...my dad just loved.

it's not something that i'm incredibly capable of...at least, not in this situation. i'm more of an "accountability" girl (or at least it's easy to think that's what it is...). either way, it reveals an area where god can deepen me like he clearly has done for my dad.

my dad's pretty heroic. i love him so much. :)

No comments: