Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Sigh.

Why, oh why!!

As a teacher, I long for the moment when a person enters the stage of ownership. It's when he or she doesn't simply think/believe/act based on what mom/dad say or what's popular or socially acceptable or politically correct. It's when he or she "owns" their intelligence and conviction...and thinks for themselves. I live for those moments.

The hitch for some, though, is pride.

When I was younger (and when I hit this stage), I was sure I knew everything. In fact, with a sliver of an experience or even just an observation, I was a self-declared expert on how others were doing things wrong. I knew how parents should parent, how bosses should boss, how religious people should relig...it went on and on. Based...sigh...on very little. Granted, sometimes my observations or revelations were legitimate, forming some impressions and convictions...but how it made me the expert???...ugh...and how it made me qualified to tell others how to live their lives???...ugh x2. Looking back...Embarrassing.

Obviously, with a few decades under my belt, I have areas in which I have incurred some wisdom...experiences, wins/losses, mistakes/rewards, lessons...and I can offer that to be helpful. Because of my pride struggle, though, I still work hard to make sure I'm "teachable" (desire it more and more actually and that's awesome!), so that I can continue to learn and improve any wisdom I currently have AND gain more and more new wisdom too.

So, here I am in a predicament. What happens when you see someone in that ownership stage who is primed and ready to pull the "expert" card, knowing full-well that a lot of people will undoubtedly be alienated? Ugh. Best of intentions maybe...but...sigh... The strategic part of me is calculating the consequences...

---
And how fitting...the Ransomed Heart devo of the day...

We Need Wisdom

When the apostles needed the help of some good men to shepherd the exploding new church, they chose men "full of the Spirit and wisdom" (Acts 6:3). The two go together; we need them both. We need to walk by the inspiration of the Spirit, and we need wisdom as well. Wisdom and Revelation. Early on in our journey, I think we should lean more into wisdom. It takes time to learn to walk with God in a deeply intimate way, and many challenges face us before we are accustomed to the way of the heart. We must practice our chords; we must do our drills.

For the waywardness of the simple will kill them, and the complacency of fools will destroy them; but whoever listens to me will live in safety and be at ease, without fear of harm. Then you will understand what is right and just and fair - every good path. For wisdom will enter your heart, and knowledge will be pleasant to your soul. Discretion will protect you, and understanding will guard you.
Proverbs 1:32-33; 2:9-11

We seek wisdom because the trail is narrow and hard to find. It is a cruel thing to tell someone to follow their dreams without also warning them what hell will come against them.

(Waking The Dead , 98, 99)

No comments: