Friday, August 17, 2012

Exploited Beauty

Here's the thing...I've been noticing how women present themselves...to the degree that I actually get concerned sometimes. I see pictures that some of my students, former students, friends, and acquaintances post on their social networking sites. Many are very lovely, but some make me...cringe. 

I know every woman has her own sense of style. Personally, I'd like a wardrobe assistant to put together cute ensembles for me. A mix of the costuming from "You've Got Mail" and "Secretariat" would be really nice. Unfortunately, this girl has no clue how to do it herself, so I'm not the kind of gal that criticizes the hair and clothing styles of others. I think that's basically rude. But, this posting isn't about style. It's about beauty. The beauty of a woman.

It wasn't so long ago that I had a limited view of beauty. Our culture, reflected in the media, quickly educates us all regarding a purely physical definition...a severely flawed perspective at that. My own journey with body image issues led me to a deeper and fuller understanding...one that sets me more and more free every day! John and Stasi Eldredge wrote a wonderful book for women called ,Captivating: Unveiling the Mystery of a Woman's Soul, that became a real help in the midst of my struggle. Some of the quotes speak to their message:

“She is the crescendo, the final, astonishing work of God. Woman. In one last flourish creation comes to a finish with Eve. She is the Master's finishing touch.” 

“Her soul is Alive. And we are drawn to her.” 

“What if you have a genuine and captivating beauty that is marred only by your striving?” 

Here's the thing...a woman's beauty is...but is so much more than...physical. It's spiritual, it's intellectual, it's emotional...it's full of strength and vulnerability...it's all of her. Beauty is soulful...essence. Somewhat of a mystery, God designed it to be discovered...unveiled...unleashed. All of that in the context of respect, honor and challenge. From the basketball court to the dance floor, from the kitchen to the board room...she brings it wherever she goes. It's "who" she is brought to whatever she does. 

Some women cherish themselves well. Others...likely from wounding or insecurity or flawed education...seem to more exploit their physical loveliness...all the while, marring their own holistic beauty by their own striving. 

It's sad to me. So very sad. 

Now, don't get me wrong. Anyone who knows me knows that I'm not pushing an uber-conservative image of "pretty"...the "baggy" costuming. That's a choice, not a rule. Be sexy. Be saucy. Be classy! Be confident! We have a design that's meant for celebration. 

But slutty? The rabid predator?...it's beneath beauty. In fact, it restrains it. 

No woman deserves that. No man does either...he deserves the full, rich beauty of a woman as much as she deserves his full strength. 

It's mysterious. It's messy. A ton of debatable "gray" for sure. One thing, though, is undeniably clear...beauty was never meant to be exploited...not even by its owner.  

*** Oh...and if you are a beauty in hiding...a woman who doesn't yet know she is or a woman who fears the power and authority of her own essence...there's a message for you too. The world desperately needs you to share your beauty...to shine. Without you, we are less. So, get moving. Your heart is worth it too. :)

No comments: