Monday, February 22, 2016

Evaluating...

So...it's definitely time. I've come to a place of evaluation...seeing a potential "fork in the road".

My career goal was not always education. I actually started out wanting to work in the medical field. During a chemistry course in college, a professor suggested I investigate the teaching profession because he liked how I tried to explain course content to my lab partner in different ways. All it took was one school placement in my first educational course to confirm my love of kiddos and the classroom. I changed my major to science education and was hired at a public high school upon graduation.

After a few years in the classroom, I decided to head back to college to earn a master's degree in Educational Leadership. "Who we are" started to become more intriguing to me. Don't get me wrong...I absolutely love the wonder in science instruction. I just found the deeper truths of our identity and destiny and how we are mentored and released into those things of greater importance. As such, I accepted a job as the principal of a Christian school. Not a brainwashing facility...it was a place of whole-person investment. It's been my focus in the 15 years since.

But now I stand at that crossroads...

Administration just isn't what I'm interested in anymore. Investing in and mentoring the whole person is still a primary passion, but I'm not sure "principal-ing" is the avenue for it anymore. At least, not for me...

So, I'm evaluating...

I definitely still want a classroom...but I think I'd like other types of classrooms in addition to my science one. Places of investment in people who want more release into the deeper things...adult classes, retreats, speaking events, studies...

Hmm...we shall see, we shall see... :)

No comments: