Thursday, February 23, 2012

Living in the Right Direction

When the going gets tough, one of the easiest ruts to fall into is living "inward". Because of the stress or challenge, we start to defend/protect self by considering everything in terms of "me" and what could make things even worse than the situation "me" is in right now. We triage life so that "me" is guarded. We look at everything and everyone through that grid. As such, we live inverted.

Obviously, self-nurturing is a good thing. We need to re-fuel. Making it the pattern, though, is not so appropriate. It places everything in the position of serving the need.

We were meant to live "outward"...

This is one of the reasons I value my relationship with God so much. If I'm willing, He is my constant filling in my inmost being. Whatever I need, He can be my abundant source and direction. The life that potentially flows outward from that FULL place is unfathomable. I can continue to step into my calling, and I can continue to sacrifice...all from a place of fullness. What a place of delight!

So...when the going gets tough, when I'm feeling ragged and rough around the edges...I need to step into the delightful discipline of receiving from Him. Anything less is...well, just that! I'm pretty sure the good Father's heart wants more for His kiddos than "less" or "just enough".

No comments: