Saturday, October 2, 2010

Career Thoughts 3

Another aspect of my job that I love...helping kids that are struggling. For some reason, Friday was "purge the soul" day with some of my high school students. They walked into my office and told me things they are struggling with but want to work on or walk out of. Wow!! Gutsy kiddos!! I admire it because it involves a huge risk...what if I reject them?, what if I discipline them?, what if there's no hope of progress?... But they are so desperate to "get real" that they'll take the leap! I get to be someone who tells them there's hope. I also get to help them (sometimes with parents too...depending on the issue) choose discipline/accountability, find counsellors if necessary and begin the tough road home. All the while??...huge amounts of honor and value and love. I, of course, always pray that they choose this direction as opposed to me having to "catch" them and make their lives miserable until they choose to love themselves enough to make a change. Hehe!

Summing it up?...coming alongside someone who wants restoration and peace in their life.

No comments: