Thursday, October 14, 2010

The Invisible Person

I have found it so entertaining lately to watch white people who really don't spend too much time in the presence of people of color. (I've actually experienced the reverse too!) When there is such a person around, some of those "whitie's" act so WEIRD!! And, I don't even mean people who are racist at all...just people who unknowlingly (or knowingly) feel there is a difference and have no clue how to act. Sadly, the other usually becomes an invisible person...not by their choice or doing, but by their treatment. It's like it's easier to just pretend they aren't there than actually step into the "unknown".

I don't have that particular reaction because I've been blessed with a host of family and friends that color up my life. So wonderful! BUT, before I can get too proud of myself, I realize that I too have a particular people-type that makes me get all flustered and uncomfortable.

So, I'm wondering...who are the invisible people in our lives? People of all shapes, colors, and sizes who somehow make us feel "different". And...what will it take to step into the "differences" and actually get to know people?

Hmm...

No comments: