Friday, August 15, 2014

Ministers in the Night

I've been sitting in Psalms lately for my devotions. The "130's" to be exact. :) When I read Psalm 134, I was immediately drawn to some different "takes" on some of the words...and it felt appropriate to share.

The Psalm is talking to the "servants of the Lord" who specifically "minister by night". I would suppose the literal meaning was the night shift of the temple, but it struck me how many people in my life "minister by night" in the sense of stepping into another's darkness or nightmare every day. The ones who run into the burning houses of life while everyone else is fleeing the scene. Such heroic and precious people.

Well, I love how it directs those people to a beautiful word..."sanctuary". It's the place of safety, presence and peace. Walking with someone in their hell...or dark night of the soul...is so very hard on the heart of the minister as well. They need to have those moments of sanctuary to have their compassionate hearts nurtured and filled.

What a great reminder that the God who crafted the heavens and the earth is that very same God who brings comfort and peace. So, ministers in the night????...know you are seen for your gifts! And, know there is rest for your mercy-driven heart!!!

Psalm 134

Praise the Lord, all you servants of the Lord
    who minister by night in the house of the Lord.
Lift up your hands in the sanctuary
    and praise the Lord.
May the Lord bless you from Zion,
    he who is the Maker of heaven and earth.

No comments: