Monday, May 12, 2008

Nieces...

it was my oldest niece's formal this weekend. she...was...adorable!

preparation festivities started at 12:30 at my house. she and two of her friends came over to do finger nails, toe nails, hair and make-up. oh!...and sparkles...everywhere. i had the great privilege of doing her make-up and putting these cool glass beads in her hair...and i bawled all over the place.

it's an interesting phenomenon...special little loved ones growing up. isn't it crazy how it sneaks up on you? but what i loved so much is that while my little sarah isn't that little girl so much anymore...she still has this beautiful and pure heart. and while she's not a perfect girl...thank god!...she's still got that sparkle that little girls know (and sadly too many lose to "growing up").

god's comedic flare helped me move through the "letting go" of my "little girl" sarah...stage front: clara.

we went out for a mother's day lunch yesterday. sadly, my little niece clara was developing an ear infection, and she was very, very out-of-sorts. but she enjoyed her dose of meds and pushed through the meal. and i was shocked that despite her sick little body, she was still able to keep up her commitment to the "princess in pink" persona. (picture a 3-yr-old in sparkly heels, pink dress, pink headband, huge rings...but then add in sniffles and snarls...) anyway, as she toddled out of the resturant...complete with all her "bling"...we passed by a little old man sitting in the waiting area. and much to my surprise, clara gave him the biggest wink i've ever seen!!!

both the old man and myself burst out laughing...

and clara proceded like it was no big thing...

so, as we were walking to the car...between my fits of laughter...i asked her why she winked at him. she replied, "i don't know. my eye just did it."

what would life be like without these precious ladies?

No comments: