Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Tattoo Question

I like when my kids start thinking for themselves concerning their faith (and faith-related questions). For the longest time they are satisfied with believing whatever they've heard (which is developmentally consistent), but when they get old enough, they start the process of owning their own faith. I'll tell you...this journey makes some parents, teachers, pastors, etc. VERY nervous. It's hard to watch them question and perhaps not land on the same truth. I personally LOVE it! Why?...because God is good and "prayer availeth much" in the long-run...and in the issues that really matter.

I enjoy when they start wrestling with the non-salvation issues. Those are the topics that are more wisdom-issues as opposed to sin. Maybe even sin issues too...but that's another convo. Hehe. Anyway, some of my high schoolers are tossing around the notion of whether or not a tattoo is a sin. (Oh yes...life in a Christian school...hehe.) Apparently, they have people in their lives who believe so. Their "thinkings" are fun to watch. What's cool is that they are not just going with what they feel like. They are asking if that's something God really cares about. Here are some verses I heard them talking about. I never knew about them. Kind of interesting actually. :)

2 Corinthians 1:21-22

Now it is God who makes both us and you stand firm in Christ. He anointed us, set his seal of ownership on us, and put his Spirit in our hearts as a deposit, guaranteeing what is to come.

Ezekiel 9:4

and said to him, “Go throughout the city of Jerusalem and put a mark on the foreheads of those who grieve and lament over all the detestable things that are done in it.”

Sheesh...I wonder if this means we all need to run out and get tattoos RIGHT AWAY! Right in the middle of the forehead...Hmm. Mine's on my back, but perhaps another one, front and center??... ;)

No comments: