Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Laminin

I love "molecules"...hehe...yes, I'm a nerd. Lately, I've been studying the functional groups with my chemistry students. Oh my gosh, it's so cool how an atom in a particular place over another creates totally unique properties. The difference between how a bananna smells vs. a pineapple...all about atoms in unique places. Anyway, Debbie sent me an email of this awesome molecule. I'd heard about it in a Louie Giglio speech. What's so cool about it is that it's not a victim of "Christian enhancements"...hehe. It's just what it is...and it's so coool.

As the email said..."LAMININS are a family of proteins that are an integral part of the structural scaffolding of basement membranes in almost every animal tissue." You see.... Laminins are what hold us together. LITERALLY. They are cell adhesion molecules. They are what holds one cell of our bodies to the next cell. Without them, we would literally fall apart."

What I also love is the verse that says that "He holds all things together." :)

1 comment:

Michelle said...

Al used this illustration in a sermon once. It is so amazing, isn't it!