Thursday, March 25, 2010

The "Worship" Conundrum

the fact that i'm blogging about this should NOT indicate that there's more drama in the actual situation than there really is. i just find that circumstances get me thinking...and my thoughts about things are more for myself as opposed to issuing particular indictments etc. so...ya.

we have a singing time every sunday at my church. i almost called it "worship" but then realized that using the word to solely mean our vocal/instrumental time would be sooooo limiting (worship is really...well, LIFE...with all of it's parts included). well, there's been some "tug-of-war" lately regarding that singing time. oh my gosh, some of the opinions have been a little surprising to me. maybe indicating that a few aren't totally on the same page about what worship through music can look like...i guess i'm thinking that's the situation because i keep hearing the word "should" as opposed to "can".

for me personally, i HATE the notion that a singing time must look/sound a certain way. i mean seriously!!! there can be profound worship in silence, in liturgy, in contemporary praise, in prophetic mayhem...through dance, chant, shouts, whispers, 3-part harmony, unison, rhythm, major/minor/disonance...whatever!!! it's the notion that it MUST be a particular way that causes me to pause. do we really subscribe to the b.s. that style equals quality worship??? holy moly...i'm guessing that as long as the heart is turned toward the audience of "3 in 1" it doesn't matter a flying flip what it all looks/sounds like.

*sigh*

what is really funny to me though is that the "youngers" and the "olders" can be unified in their "issue" over the matter. they both think the other is doing it wrong!!! hahaha!...but i guess that's sometimes the "common ground" that is needed to have the heart of matters rise up. ;)

----
preference-wise, i have to say that the style that drives me absolutely nutso is prophetic worship. i know, i know...you'd think someone as crazy as me would enjoy it. AHHHH! but you know what it is???...the constant repeating of words and phrases!!! especially in choruses. then again...some of the verses are packed with as many words as possible that it's difficult to even know what i'm singing as we prattle through all the lingo!! totally drives me nuts! the other reason?...they usually aren't very "musical". they tend to have boringly repeated note patterns, so singing isn't so fun (for sing-y peeps like myself). BUT...here's the thing. there's no excuse to not worship in that style...i don't give myself that permission. i have to say that if i really set myself to do so, i can "worship" in prophetic style. i just have to set my expectations that way. it's about the heart really, right?...so it shouldn't matter.

----
well...i know it'll all shake out...always does. it's just been a little entertaining and thought-provoking. (and secretly...i love that.)

No comments: