Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Sermon Prep Lessons

Every week I get to go to a sermon preparation meeting for my church. I really LOVE it! My reason???...every week is an amazing learning opportunity for me. I'm getting all the "101's" and mentoring from people that I love and admire. There are 7 of us now...that's so fabulous considering most pastors really have, well, themselves to bounce ideas off of.

The thing you should know is that the meetings can get very interesting...VERY...Hehe! The reason?...because other than salvation issues there is a LOT that can be debated...especially when you have people on opposite ends of the spectrum. Debate, though, is a GREAT thing!!! It purifies...AND encourages people to walk in humility, grace and REAL community.

So, there was a debate this week. I leaned more toward one perspective over the other, but I also (because of my passion for "balance" and "nuggets in all things") always ask myself what God wants me to pull out of the other side of an argument. He always shows me something I can consider and move more deeply towards with Him. More than that, there's something I appreciate about one of the people in the group. Tim is a shooting star!...and I don't say that due to his particular arguments for or against things (although I do learn a great deal from his knowledge of Scripture...amazing!!). What blesses me SO much about him is that his debating assumes something...the value of all involved. He guards the value of people underneath it all. Does that make him get all "pansy" in his arguments??...NOPE! He doesn't need to walk around on egg shells because everyone knows that people are his heart-business. So, if someone is upset, he doesn't just say, "Eh, they just have problems." No, he pursues. It's so respectful and honorable...and I think people know that he carries that with him in all interactions. I love him!

No comments: