Thursday, March 11, 2010

A Non-Spending Challenge

I ran into my friends Dan and Angie the other day at Wal-Mart. They were getting some groceries because they had just completed their semi-annual challenge of not spending for a month (unless it was an emergency). Well...it got me thinking, and now I've taken on the challenge!!! For the entire month of March I will not spend a dime on anything! I'll definitely pay my bills...but other than that, nope! It's been really good and challenging thus far. I'm actually planning things out, making meals from scratch, and trying to save, save, save!

Maybe this is my "Lent"!

Some cool things have already happened. Some of my meat had spoiled before I could use it...lesson learned for planning ahead more...well, I went over to someone's house for dinner and without them knowing my "situation", they said that they had excess hamburger and offered it to me!! SWEET! Another one happened today! I had to turn down a massage because the rules wouldn't allow for something like that. Well, a lady came to volunteer today and gave me a back massage at lunch just because she wanted to!

Of course, there are some things this "pushes on" in me. Number 1 would be impulse spending. It's a good thing that I'll get to see the money that I'm saving, but I'm telling you it's quite a "trying" experience knowing that I can't just go and buy some candy or lipstick or Payless shoes or... :) Number 2 is letting people give me things!! Probably good for the pride!!! ;)

2 comments:

Jody said...

You got a massage today? Another perk of the job...lol

Sarah said...

HAHA! Just a back rub, but still!! It probably wasn't as good as some of our other perks...like leftover pizza...;)