Thursday, June 24, 2010

On Intimacy with God

I'm obsessed. As a friend wrote in a FB update lately...and I couldn't agree more..."The word "Christian" occurs in the New Testament 3 times and the word "Christianity" exactly zero. The word "disciple", however, is found 263 times. Praying the Bride of Christ will practice discipleship more & more today and in the years to come." The comments that followed pertained to the unbalanced focus of the Christian church on evangelism with the result being very "milky" followers of Christ. Discipleship is a key passion of mine...men and women "becoming" as they experience more of God.

Intimacy with God is, of course, the way...yet we do very little to encourage it in each other. Instead, we perpetuate a very intellectual and behavioral discipline. Good to a point, I'd imagine, but not at all speaking to core of what makes us uniquely human. Identity bathed in divine intimacy.

God has been doing so much with me lately in regards to my relationship with God and my character. I, of course, have been fumbling around all over the place because there's nothing ordered and programatic about intimacy...HAHA! Go figure!! But relationship breeds "real"...and real becoming. Out of that intimacy, God and I have been building a vision for who He's made me to be (Thanks, Steph!)...the "why" for the journey He's been challenging me to take.

I would so love to see the body of Christ (His people all over..) live life marked by that embrace...Wow!

No comments: