Monday, August 30, 2010

How Do You Carry The Glory?

There's always been a story (one of many) in the Bible that has puzzled me. The one about the man back in the David days who sees the Ark of the Covenant falling. He reaches out to stabilize it...meaning that he'd actually touch it...and God strikes him dead. I mean seriously!!...He's trying to help!! So, I've just always had that one on my list of things to ask God about when I get to heaven. :) Well, I heard an interesting take on that story the other day when I was listening to the Daily Audio Bible on iTunes. See, there were actually instructions about how to carry the Ark that David was not following at the time of the incident. David had it propped up on an ox cart...the directions required carrying with poles held by the priests of Levi. A little detail, I know, but actually one that translates into a big deal. In essence, there was a disregard for how the glory was carried.

Well, today, we understand that the presence of God is no longer contained in a structure (ark, temple, etc). It's in you and me. So, it begs the question...How do you carry the glory?

No comments: