Tuesday, August 17, 2010

What have Christians been up to?

Playing in a sand volleyball league has been so great this summer! It's been a good challenge all around for me. Pushes my competition buttons (Grr!), reveals my mouth-foaming tendencies (surprise!!...it just pops right out when something doesn't work out!!..ahh!)...but also has given me a great outlet and has addressed a long-time desire from my Life List. Yay!

Well, lately, I've been noticing something else. I've been aware of the perceptions that many people have of "Christians". Sorry...I have to use quotes on that one because I think the "Christianity" presented by some is so full of b.s. sometimes. Anyway, we've been getting to know many of the other teams...so much fun!...but when they ask how we all know each other (church-related), we get funny reactions. One lady seriously wondered if it was ok for us to have fun! Last night, for example, many of us were having a beer or wine cooler in the time between our games. We weren't getting drunk...sheesh, just having a cold one. When one of the guys from the other team found out I was a principal at a Christian school, he about fell over. It was a huge challenge to his picture of "Christianity" that I could have a bottle in my hand and not be excommunicated by Christ.

Umm...this is why I absolutely dislike the legalism that pervades the church sometimes. The fact that some really have the impression...from Christians I might add...that our faith is about 1) having no fun and 2) never drinking a Mike's Cranberry Hard Lemonade is..well...STUPID! For me...EVERY Monday night, God is having a blast right with us and loving that we are living it up with Him.

No comments: