Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Grammar Nightmare

I'm worried about the devolution of grammar in our country...HAHA! It's like people don't know how to use Basic Writing 101!! I'm assuming that the texting revolution has a bit to do with it, but it certainly can't be the entire problem. Hmm...

So...a new one for you...

Today, I saw someone massacre "are, our and hour". HOW IS THAT POSSIBLE??? I'm used to the puzzling placement of "they're, there, their" or "you're, your". They can be tricky! But "are, our, hour"???

So...thanks to dictionary.com...

Are: A "be" verb....as in "We are going to practice grammar." or "They are going to lose their minds."

Our: An attributive adjective, a possessive...as in "Our class can't take it anymore." or "Don't take our sanity!"

Hour: A noun indicating a period of time...as in "I wish I had an hour to bang my head against a wall."

*sigh* ;)

No comments: