Saturday, August 27, 2011

When Leaders Fail

Note: I work (and have worked) with a lot of leaders...work, church, ministries, and other organizations. I've been one...and am one still in many ways. I've been the one to fall and I've been the one to be fallen on.

That said...

I'm so aware that it's not necessarily a good thing to put a leader on a pedestal. Not that we shouldn't look up to someone or be challenged by them...just not to the degree that we often do. Leaders are "people" too. They aren't as perfect as our expectations often demand. They have fears and insecurities...they fall and fail.

I know some think that they should be held to a higher standard...and I don't disagree. It's just that I believe we ALL should be held to a higher standard. Mutual accountability. That which I expect of my leader, I should expect from myself.

So, I guess the last few weeks have been a bit sad...but maybe appropriate, I guess...in taking a leader off a pedestal. Now the journey to expect a higher path and hope for the healing that makes such morality possible...

We all should be people of honor...who don't gossip, disrespect, manipulate, shame...but who instead keep confidences, respect another's humanity and choices, encourage and pray, inspire...

And now...how to call one back...and respond myself to the same beckoning...

No comments: