Thursday, December 16, 2010

Ignorance is not bliss...

Our culture prides itself so much in "independence", and of the original intent I am so proud. BUT...the extremes to which we seem to take it frustrate me so much...to the point that I believe we have become content with a prettied-up package of "less".

Living lives that are so disconnected, making us unaware of and sometimes cold toward our neighbor. Lives that revolve around the narcissistic "me" to the degree that we devalue others...often unintentionally because we simply cannot see past ourselves.

So sad...because people matter...community matters...to the degree that true "thriving" depends on it.

I must admit that I actually have to include myself in this scenario too. I just don't seem to always notice it in myself until I'm on the receiving end. Tough to experience, but I guess it's good to be reminded that there is a better way to live.

No comments: