Thursday, December 9, 2010

The Risk of One's Heart

My Uncle Tim is such a blessing! He's a life-long learner and with great humility just lives out his lessons. I am a willing student! Well, I am constantly amazed at the things he says...things that I know God is saying through him...things that speak to struggles and questions that I keep deep inside.

Last night was one of those.

My Uncle came up to me at a church gathering last night, said this and walked away..."It's my business to manage risk (he works in the financial industry), but I have found that the greatest risk of all...above any other kind...is the risk of sharing one's heart. So, I'm praying for you!"

In similar fashion to the other times he does this to me, he actually doesn't know anything that I'm specifically going through or hoping for. He's just a heart-man, and I love him for it. So...That's about where my eyes started tearing up. :)

That's the life of courage that I'm meant to live. And yes, with that risk comes pain...but a heart can't know love without that possibility. One either risks nothing to ensure never being hurt...embracing a life of lonliness...or one lives with arms wide open...embracing the hurts that may come but diving deep into an ocean of intimacy.

I'm going to be a girl marked by that risk...

No comments: