Monday, April 29, 2013

Beyond the word...

A really great "check" for me while I was on my retreat...during one of the prayer times, I decided to grab my Bible and do some reading. Somehow I ended up in John...great book, by the way, for getting to know a bit of who Jesus is. It was John 5, specifically...a section where Jesus is speaking to the pharisees who were always out to evaluate (and persecute) Him for being so religiously and spiritually uncouth. #irony

"You study the Scriptures diligently because you think that in them you have eternal life. These are the very Scriptures that testify about me, yet you refuse to come to me to have life." John 5:39-40

Man, oh man...that stopped me in my tracks. Wasn't even looking for something like that but it caught my attention BIG TIME.

Their source of life was scripture (well, that and their pride in following the law)...and not the Son of God that the words pointed to. HE is the source of life beyond the written word. Yep...reminded me of another passage in Scripture that refers to Jesus as the "Word" that "became flesh".

Word vs. word...

It makes me stop and ask the question...do I truly find my life in Christ who is THE Word?...am I allowing the word to guide me to the Word?...or am I finding my source in the pages...

Not that the Bible is in any way unimportant...it's just that...well...the Word, the Life, Jesus...and the life we can find with Him...is MORE. So much more...beyond.

No comments: