Wednesday, June 25, 2008

We Passed!

oh my goodness...the driver's permit test.

i've been being "mom" while deb is away. two of my three nieces have been staying me, which has been a little stressful at times but mostly great.

well, sarah, my oldest niece, reached the age of "driving". (that, of course, makes me feel about 80 years old...) when deb left, sarah was beginning her second week of driver's education. tons of notes, tons of highlighted phrases, paragraphs and pages...but as english is not sarah's first language, there were many challenges. she had many memorized facts but little understanding of meanings. so we spent many moments explaining the words in her rule book...i.e. a curb is not the same as a curve...and then building the facts on some understanding. boy, is she a trooper!

so when she finished the course, she was determined to take the permit test IMMEDIATELY. i was a little worried because there were so many comprehension issues, but even more than that, i was terrified that she'd fail. my heart just wanted all her hard work to pay off ASAP.

but...the first try was 2 questions short. grrr! so we had a bit of a downer.

but! we "sarah's" never surrender! we whipped out the driver's ed book and reviewed just about every tiny question that she may have had.

and on try #2...she did it!

it was so precious! she came running out with her hugest smile EVER and did a little dance in the hallway. i, of course, started to tear up...dang my default response...but we celebrated BIG TIME!

and then we made it official at the government center!!!

yes, my niece that is seemingly 7-yrs-old in my mind...can...drive! (pause for a fainting spell).

No comments: