Tuesday, March 17, 2009

The Fire

i'm sitting in my quiet house right now. it was the most insane day at work, and i just needed some stillness.

my clothes smell so bad, my hair has a film on it, and my skin is just nasty feeling.

i was sitting in my science class today...7th-8th grade fun and/or madness...when jody ran in saying that there was a fire in the multi-purpose room and that mark couldn't get it out. so i bolted from my chair, telling my kids to sit tight, and ran in with her.

it was CRAZY!

somehow the oven was on fire and kept lighting back up after each blast of the extinguishers. someone yelled out that it might be electrical, so we ran to the wall of a zillion circuits. of course, in stressful moments like this, finding the specific breaker was next to impossible, so finally we just pulled the 'main' because it was taking too much time. at that moment the smoke finally hit the sensors, and the alarms went off. so i bolted back to my class and got them moving outside (in an orderly fashion ideally). teachers took over supervision (thank god), so we went back to running around like maniacs.

mark finally got it out, but the smoke was unbelievable! it was thick, it was full of nasty junk, and it had to be toxic. it burned the fridge next to it and some of the wall and cabinets above.

the fire dept FINALLY showed up! mark hauled the stove outside. big blowers were brought in. clean-up began (and continues).

jody and mark were amazing, btw!!! what a blessing!

so...another event for the book someday...'my experiences at ccs'. i'm not sure how many more "that'll never happen" events are left to survive on my list. oh...well, i guess a meteor hasn't struck the building, so there are still more things to wait for. hehe!

thank god for walking with us through that one. no one was hurt...other than faculty lungs. ;)

No comments: