Saturday, March 26, 2011

Devo Day 6: Being Fathered Creates Mission...

Reference:

1 John 3:1; 16-18

1 See what great love the Father has lavished on us, that we should be called children of God! And that is what we are!

16 This is how we know what love is: Jesus Christ laid down his life for us. And we ought to lay down our lives for our brothers and sisters. 17 If anyone has material possessions and sees a brother or sister in need but has no pity on them, how can the love of God be in that person? 18 Dear children, let us not love with words or speech but with actions and in truth.

(New International Version, ©2011, http://www.biblegateway.com/)

Thoughts:

Most people know about Martin Luther King Jr., his mission to expose the problem of racism through non-violence, and his untimely death. There’s a little known story about him, though, in which God “fathered” him. Early on in his stand, he received a death threat over the phone. They said that if he didn’t stop what he was pursuing, they would kill his family and would kill him. Sitting at the kitchen table with his wife and children fast asleep in the other room, he was faced with a crisis of belief. He had his conviction, but at that point it was based on a religion and not a relationship. Well, he completely broke down and began pleading with God.

“And I discovered then that religion had to become real to me, and I had to know God for myself. And I bowed down over that cup of coffee. I never will forget it. . . . I prayed a prayer, and I prayed out loud that night. I said, "Lord, I'm down here trying to do what's right. I think I'm right. I think the cause that we represent is right. But Lord, I must confess that I'm weak now. I'm faltering. I'm losing my courage."

. . . And it seemed at that moment that I could hear a voice saying to me, "Martin Luther, stand up for righteousness. Stand up for justice. Stand up for truth. And lo I will be with you, even until the end of the world." . . . I heard the voice of Jesus saying still to fight on. He promised never to leave me, never to leave me alone. No never alone. No never alone. He promised never to leave me, never to leave me alone.” (Soul Survivor by Philip Yancey).

We know he proceeded from that moment of intimacy with God. He charged forth into mission.

The same is true for us! Out of our Father-child relationship with God comes mission. General and specific callings straight from His heart can and will come from our willingness to be fathered by Him.

Reflection:

Do you have a sense of mission in your life? Has the Father shown you the next step to take? Dive in to your relationship with Him and accept your mission.

Optional Song: “I will Follow” by Chris Tomlin

“Rock What You Got” by Superchick

No comments: