Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Drop the "Christian"???

Influenced by the book I'm listening to on iTunes currently and numerous experiences of late with people who refer to themselves as such, I'm wrestling with dropping "Christian" from my life adjectives.

Pause for gasps... ;)

Does that mean that I no longer believe in Jesus? No, I do with everything in me. It's some of the "followers" that have me considering an exit from the "club".

It seems like they are more interested in defending little ol' God than living in (and out of) an authentic relationship with Him that ultimately changes the world. I'm pretty sure God could care less about defending Himself. He's just looking to love...

* I heard several people reminding everyone to "get on our knees" because God could smite the world at any moment because of those hell-bound heathens...  Because God hates every person He's ever made...?

* I heard a few people expressing gratitude that someone they knew wasn't involved in the tsunami because God was clearly on their side...  As if the Christians who died in the tsunami were on God's bad side...??? As if the people who'd never heard of Him were too...???

* I heard several people criticize a Christian man because he wants to step into uncomfortable questions and be ok with the reality of God in the mysteries...  They even invited him out of the "faith"...

I just wish that some "Christians" could see how their need to be right actually presents an insulting perspective of God to the very people that need to know His love...

I just can't take it anymore. Association...SUCKS!

So...I've actually started researching. Haha! The first people that fell in love with Jesus referred to themselves as "followers of the way". Maybe that's my new label... ;) I'll still love my Jesus, follow my heart and my convictions including fellowship with other Jesus lovers...but just go by another name.

Hmm...thinking...

No comments: