Friday, March 11, 2011

The "I-Don't-Care-ist"

Teaching in a Christian school is quite the experience for me. My faith is changing because my relationship with God is growing. Because of that, I'm so aware of the areas in my life that I am disconnecting from the "modern", Evangelical approach to things. I just want to be more like Jesus...living as a child of a good Father...rather than a person whose faith needs to be marked by being an apologist and/or defender of the bullet points.

I'd rather have the ability to dwell richly in the mysteries and questions of life because of my relationship than be basically impotent to change the world because I'm sure I actually have all the answers...

Hehe...and it's not that I think study, thought and beliefs are unimportant. I think it's great to flex the brain and have conviction. Too many people aren't thinking these days...living by popular opinion, driven by envy. What is changing in me is the foundation. It's going deeper, making the arguments for or against all kinds of things much less significant to me.

That brings me to the Creation-Evolution unit in my junior high science class. I get to talk about all of the theories pertaining to the origin of life. I love it because I actually get to give a more respectful and broad survey than in the public system. It's like a real-live education. Ironic, but I digress. ;) BUT...I am aware of some of the families that NEED the literal Short-Day, Young-Earth Creation story to be true in order to validate God and their faith in Him. That's where it gets tricky...because...I'm an I-Don't-Care-ist. Haha!

I absolutely love science. Biology specifically is like chocolate to me. Give me genetics, give me microbiology, give me anatomy...Yum, I'm constantly fascinated! I also love my hottie God. He too is like chocolate to me...uber-fantastic, life-changing wonder. My own experience with God being intimately involved in my life leads me to the leaning that He also approached the creation process in the same fashion. Any true artist would agree regarding their particular masterpiece. But how He did it (the theories and the specifics)??? How long it took (Gap theory, long-day theory, created-with-age/maturity)???...I'm solidly confident that it all fits together somehow and am so excited for the day when we will get to know it all.

In the meantime...ya...I don't care. And somehow that doesn't limit and/or hinder my view of God or my relationship with Him. It also doesn't rob me of my interest in science. Hmmm... ;)

2 comments:

Ethio said...

Woo Hoo!!! Nice new label. Welcome to the club of I don't care ist scientists!!

SnoWhite said...

I'm right there with you! The important piece is not HOW God did it ... but THAT HE DID!

It's been a real transition for me too, now teaching where I do compared to where I did before, so it was fun to read your thoughts too. Thanks for sharing.