Saturday, March 26, 2011

"Love Wins"

Well, I just finished the book that has created so much controversy in the American Evangelical church..."Love Wins". Rob Bell, it should be noted, didn't set out to cause a ruckus at all, but it most evidently has struck a few nerves.

I'M GLAD...but I digress... ;)

Let me get one thing straight before I freak anyone out...I strongly disagree with the accusation that Bell has decided there is no hell and is a universalist. Read it...see for yourself. That's NOT what he's saying in my opinion. Frankly, the "hell" portion of the book reminded me of "The Great Divorce" by C.S. Lewis. Nothing new. What it appears he IS critiquing, without explicitely saying so, is the evangelical notion of reducing/summarizing the work of Christ to a final destination question (Wanna go to heaven or wanna go to hell?) which positions the believer to survive life here in the hopes of "later".

i.e. small perspective...small Jesus...few experience God to the degree they were made to TODAY and thus don't change the world TODAY...

Bell is proposing a re-ordering, saying more that hell/heaven/"later" shouldn't be the main point by which we frame our living and our mission. A "perk" shouldn't be the main point...but apparently it's the whole enchilada for a TON...and needs to be??...Hmm... I can't figure out why that is the case yet. Still need to think on that...

What I have to say, though, is how much of a relief this has been for me. I felt little to no need to agree 100% with whatever Bell said and more revelled in the notion that there are others out there that have been sensing that Jesus came for soooo much more and opened the doors to amazingly more than we ever dreamed. It has felt so lonely sharing my faith explosion with many of the evangelical sort (not all!!!). By 'explosion', I mean going from a match stick flame to an out-of-control wild fire. Wild in a good way... ;) ...well, except to those who need to live as "sinners saved from the fires of hell by the grace and mercy of God"... No, my life with God makes them nervous...?

"I am my beloved's and He is mine." This has moved from a verse to a concept to an actual, present-day reality for me (more and more all the time). It involves an adventure into what it means that Jesus lived as "fully human" (making "human" such a powerfully beautiful thing that beckons to my unfortunate choices to live less than human...what an offer to know more!!!), a call back to God's heartbeat in Eden, an invitation to live as a daughter of a good Father...all moving from "bullet point" concepts to a possible reality...one that utterly changes how I see, hear, act...TODAY...one that makes me more and more courageous in mysteries because of WHO He is...

I'm pretty sure I won't ever be coming back, and if that makes me the next heretic...well, it is what it is.

No comments: