Sunday, May 15, 2011

My Measuring Stick

I've been watching a ton of conversations online about various topics in Christendom. I find it interesting how quickly the "Us vs Them" mentality enters the scene. I also am intrigued by all of the intellectualism. Seemingly, all kinds of "mind" with little "heart". Many of the conclusions permitting all kinds of judgment, all sides are guilty of the very same flawed process. Namely, the drive to find a new box to shove God into...and a new pedestal from which to look with disdain.

As a result, I've decided to claim a new measuring stick for all of these musings. They come from what Jesus called the two greatest commands...

1) Does your conviction cause you to know/love God more? Not know about God...KNOW God.

2) Does your conviction draw you closer to others? Does it isolate or create more depth of community?

I'm going to start applying this to my heart ramblings so I don't perseverate on too many of the lesser points. Those can be nice distractions from truly living the With-God life, but it's not the "real" we were meant for.

No comments: