Monday, May 2, 2011

Osama Bin Laden

I realize I might be stepping into the firestorm here, but as always...I have some thoughts. :) Ironically...but perhaps appropriately...most of my thought-provoking moments come from within the "household of faith" (i.e. Christians and all of their doings). I see actions, hear comments and find myself shaking my head in frustration. And many times, sadly, I find that I've been a participant...

The reaction to Osama's death is one of those moments.

And, yes, clearly I'm not pointing fingers all over the place. I'm more just asking some questions. So, here goes...

I'm struggling with the celebration of the demise of another. Don't get me wrong. I believe in justice. I think there should be consequences for acts that harm humanity, assuming the drive of payment is not fueled by revenge. It's just that from there Jesus messes things up for me. His heart for His enemies to be specific. I don't think He ever advocates a "dance on the grave" of a foe with either action or word. And, I think He challenges me to live in the same manner...

So honestly??...Bin Laden's death is sad to me. Not because he should have had no consequences. It's sad because of the innate value and potential of his life contrasted with his continued choices to be filled with hatred. It's sad because of all of the lives that were lost or altered because of those choices...those who died in the attacks and those who are influenced by his madness. It's sad because he chose to not change course and to experience such an end. People who are fooled, formed and fueled...who never accept the opportunity to see things differently...and then it's too late...

So...in addition to remembering those who've lost loved ones...I'm going to revisit the notion of the "weight" of life, well-spent or not. I'm going to consider the lessons for all of humanity about hatred, bitterness, and revenge. I'm going to respect the completion with silence...

2 comments:

Kris said...

Wow, Sarah, so glad someone is willing to set aside blind patriotism to see an even bigger picture. Thanks for the post.

Ethio said...

I was in Ethiopia when the news broke...definitely different responses than you might have experienced here...no dancing on graves....gratitude that an evil leader has been stopped, fear of revenge, gratitude to armed forces that never gave up, reverence. Let's all do our part. Don't celebrate the demise of anyone. Pray for and work for forgiveness and peace.